Sunday, October 10, 2010

Paying it forward with Habitat for Humanity

I believe one of the most amazing moments in life is having your own home. If you are a homeowner, you may agree that the moment you are handed your keys to your first home is one you will never forget. Matt and I have been fortunate to own a home; more importantly, we've felt the generosity of family who've allowed us to reside with them while we were without a place of our own.

In an effort to pay it forward, I chose to volunteer my time and support to Habitat for Humanity, St. Louis. It was an incredible experience. My volunteer spirit was directed to a fellow co-worker - an amazing single mom of two young children. Throughout this summer, I spent time on Saturday's at the building site. I wasn't able to do much - I found out I am not that handy.  

Weekend Blitz - first day on site


Co-worker and future homeowner, Miss Keishauna and I.


Fellow co-worker Andy and I.


Notice I am the one in the pink hat, and the only female holding up this wall!


Co-worker Karla and I sweeping up all the mess from construction.


The house was coming together by this point; here I am vacuuming drywall dust.


The most important picture is this one - pure excitement as Keishauna holds up her keys to her new home. I couldn't be happier for her!

Through Habitat, I was at the building site when the house had only a foundation and frame and ended my volunteer commitment at the Dedication Ceremony where my co-worker received her keys. It was such an inspiring moment, and one that I am so proud to have witnessed. Congrats Keishauna and family! 

No comments:

Post a Comment