Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Service before self

Service before self is an Air Force core value.

Today is the day that Matt has been waiting for. He flies to Lackland AFB this afternoon for eight-and-a-half-weeks of basic military training (boot camp). Matt is as ready as he can be, and so am I.

Leading up to today, we've been fortunate to spend the past five-days together free from work. Between my two jobs and Matt working nights, it's a challenge to see each other; but, as the great team we are, we always manage to stay connected. The last several days have brought a higher meaning to our love and commitment to each other.

I know this upcoming year of living apart will be incredibly difficult, but I also believe it allows us a chance to grow independent of each other so that together we are a stronger couple. I choose to stay focused on the positives this year will bring. Even more, I've always seen Matt's potential, and I believe his path of service will allow him to see it in himself.

The pictures posted in this entry are from Matt's enlistment last summer...like I said, it's been a long time coming for his departure to boot camp and then on to 10-months of Technical training.

My prayers are for continued blessings for the men and women, and their families who serve our country. May they feel uplifted by a grateful nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment