Going into Mother's Day weekend (May 7 through 9, 2010), I traveled to Lackland AFB in San Antonio, TX for Matt's Basic Military Training graduation. Lackland AFB graduates 40,000 airmen (and airwomen) each year.
Some statistics I learned at my orientation briefing: only 25 percent of the men and women in our country are eligible to enlist in the military, and of those who are eligible, only one percent actually do enlist.
It is a humbling and moving experience to witness the men and women who have volunteered to answer their nations' call to serve and protect. I felt such pride as an American citizen watching the graduation ceremonies, and I felt even more proud of the men and women who are protecting our freedom.
Matt did extremely well through his basic training; receiving the Thunderbolt award for 100 percent achievement in physical fitness.
Additionally, Matt received special recognition as an Honor Graduate, bestowed to those who graduate in the top ten percent of all airman based on physical and academic standards, as well as recommendations and approval by training instructors. Matt was also in the running for overall top airman.
To recap the graduation ceremonies: Thursday began with the Airman's run at 8 am, the Airman's Coin ceremony at 11 am followed by the Honor Graduate award ceremony.
Friday's ceremony was the Airman's official graduation and oath of service. It was a bit challenging to find Matt within the lines of all 774 airmen (they all look the same!), I had to "tap him out" before Matt could address me.
Once I found him, Matt escorted me back to his dorm for their Open House. I can officially say that my husband can fold laundry as well as make a bed with perfect hospital corners.
Congratulations Airman Brown! Congratulations to you and your fellow 773 airmen for volunteering to serve our country. Integrity first, Service before self and Excellence in all you do.
Matt begins his Technical Training for Integrated Avionics this Monday, May 17 at Keesler AFB in Mississippi. He'll be there for two months and then finish Technical training at Sheppard AFB in Texas. As long as his training goes according to plan, Matt should finish mid-October and return home to Scott AFB near St. Louis, MO for one-year of Seasoning training (hands-on training).
We are so blessed and fully know that this whole journey has been God led. In May 2008, Mother's Day weekend I officially moved to St. Louis to begin my new job, and now, two years later, Matt is beginning his journey in the Air Force. We each felt called to our new journey and took a leap of faith by getting out of our comfort zone: "walk by faith, not by sight" (2 Corinthians, 5:7).
Thank you all for your love and support, we felt every bit of your encouragement and prayers!

No comments:
Post a Comment