Um, let me first say, this manual does not exist – at least not that I have found. Here’s my take on the past five weeks...
Perception vs. Reality
How am I surviving my own “boot camp” while Matt is at Basic Training? Well, it’s not been easy – actually, it’s been extremely difficult. I knew it would be really tough, it’s actually harder than I anticipated. I honestly thought my biggest challenge would be living on my own (taking out the trash, paying bills, cooking, being alone, etc); and I’m pleased to say that I’m doing really well on my own, conquering all activities I was hesitant on. I’ve actually cooked more in the past five weeks than in our whole marriage. (Sad, I know.) I’ve built a steady routine of writing letters to Matt three times a week, managing all finances, housework, and meals for the week, all the while working between 60 and 70 hours a week, and still finding time to work-out five to six days a week.
Greatest Challenges
My hardest challenge is the emotional roller-coaster I have no control over. Simply put, I miss my husband. There are days when I’m handling things well (weeks 1, 2, and 3) and then there are days when the stress is starting to wear on me (weeks 4 and 5). Many times I say to myself, “I just can’t do this,” or “I really need Matt right now.” I had no idea how much I depended on his emotional support. I’ve found it hardest at night, when everything gets really quiet and I am alone. Or when I have an stressful or exhausting day at one of my jobs and I don’t have Matt’s sweet face to welcome me home and give me words of encouragement. For me, Matt is the rock in our household – nothing ever phases him. And he always, absolutely always knows what to do or say to make a situation better. For some reason, I feel completely drained physically and mentally. And it’s hard since Matt is not here to cheer me on.
Continuing On
I know this journey I’m on is just temporary, and that is keeping me sane. My heart breaks for those who have to endure this for much longer than I have to. I am fortunate that I know where Matt is, and I’m sure he safe. It’s just really difficult not to hear from him for LONG stretches of time. As of date, it’s been almost two full weeks without word from him. Half of me is missing.
Blessings To Report
Even with all the difficulties I’ve experience so far, I’ve also been humbled by my friends, co-workers and family by their support. Every time I find myself at a low point, someone reaches out to me. I know I’m not a priority for anyone (like I am to my husband); but with the kindness of others – I do feel important and cared for – and that is exactly what keeps me going. For the past five weeks I’ve spent my energy being strong and supportive for Matt, and it’s wonderful to know others have my back as well. A huge and heartfelt Thank You!
Thursday, April 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment